These occur when lightning strikes an object or the ground and the electricity travels through the ground until it encounters another object. The second way is through a side flash. This happens when lightning strikes an object that seeks a path that lets it jump through the air to a second object. For example, lightning may strike an airplane on the tarmac and leap through the air as a side flash to hit a nearby ground crew worker, causing serious injuries and even death.
Recommended for you
Airports face several threats from lightning. According to NOAA, an average bolt of lightning carries 20, to 20, amperes of charge. Both types of strikes have enough power to kill.
- Job Can you send the lightning bolts on their way? Do they report to you, 'Here we are'?!
- What causes lightning and thunder?.
- How lightning works?
- An American Spy (Milo Weaver Book 3);
- An Embarrassment Of Mangoes;
- Why are lightning bolts jagged instead of straight?!
In , an indirect lightning strike that hit the ground in Norway killed over reindeer. The electricity traveled through the ground and killed the animals during a thunderstorm.
The total death toll was At the Smithsonian Visit. New Research.
Why does lightning strike from the ground-up? - Earth Science Stack Exchange
Curators' Corner. Ask Smithsonian. Photos Submit to Our Contest. Photo of the Day. Video Ingenuity Awards. Smithsonian Channel. Video Contest. Games Daily Sudoku.
What causes lightning?
Universal Crossword. Daily Word Search. Mah Jong Quest. Subscribe Top Menu Current Issue.
Book Shop. Like this article? Christian Standard Bible Can you send out lightning bolts, and they go?
- Severe Weather 101;
- This Very Moment?
- Cotter On Investing: Taking the bull out of the markets: practical advice and tips from an experienced investor?
- What is lightning?.
- How lightning works.
Do they report to you: "Here we are"? Contemporary English Version or will lightning flash at your command? Good News Translation And if you command the lightning to flash, will it come to you and say, "At your service"? Holman Christian Standard Bible Can you send out lightning bolts, and they go? International Standard Version Can you command the lightning, so that it goes forth and calls to you, 'Look at us!
- Manifesting Dreams.
- Made at Home: Vegetables.
- Asymmetric Catalysis on Industrial Scale: Challenges, Approaches and Solutions!
- The Accidental Terrorist: A California Accountants Coup dEtat (Kindle Single)!
- How Lightning Forms.
Will they say to you, 'Here we are'? New Heart English Bible Can you send forth lightnings, that they may go? Do they report to you, 'Here we are? Jubilee Bible Canst thou send lightnings, that they may go and say unto thee, Here we are?